Demolition Part III

Now that the windows were installed and the exterior all sealed up again I dove head first into the project I’ve been wanting to do for some time now. Tear out the cesspool of allergens that covers our entire master bedroom…aka the carpet. We bought the house from a crazy lady who didn’t really believe in cleaning and liked white carpet. Not a good combination! Even after the professional carpet cleaners came though there were stains still in every room. The master bedroom was the worst though. The story is her dog developed cancer in his nostrils and was sneezing blood everywhere. It was sad but at the same time kind of annoying since the stains weren’t there when we put an offer in on the house and we never got money any money to replace the carpet. Everything happened between our offer being accepted and the closing.

 

We made the best of it by cutting out strands of carpet, spot bleaching, and putting furniture over the worst areas. From far away it didn’t look too bad:

 

It was just a temporary fix though. Carpet in the bedroom isn’t a good idea with my allergies which are the worst at night. I’m allergic to dust mites, cats, some kinds of mold, and now dogs (don’t worry we’d never getting rid of Sophie!). So we’re changing to hardwood flooring in the bedrooms and hallway. I tackled the carpet removal first thing in the morning so Flannel Man woke up to see this:

Sophie’s new favorite thing is to chew on wood scraps. She’s really loving demo. Crazy dog.

 

Under the hallway carpet I was surprised to find this strange pressure sensor for the old security system. So glad that we discontinued that old relic of a system that was always going off accidentally.

 

At this point we could see the underlayment was a 3/4″ layer of particle board with a 1/2″ layer of plywood subfloor underneath. We needed to remove both layers in the bathroom areas so the plumbing could be rerouted but we weren’t sure if we were going to tear up the master bedroom floor or just take down some of the basement ceiling below to reroute ductwork. Now knowing the underlayment was particle board instead of plywood we decided to take up the floor so we could upgrade to plywood. So Flannel Man, Papa Flannel, and I spend some quality time with cat’s paws and hammers removing every nail in the two layers of flooring.

 

With the second dumpster rental coming due we also tore out as much of the main bathroom as we could while still keeping it useable.

 

You can’t be very shy when using this bathroom that’s open to well everything. But having a bathroom on the main floor for an extra week was priceless. Who knew we’d be so sad to see this ugly harvest gold bathroom go?!

 

The drywall on this wall had to come down too so we could move the outlet that would have been behind the tub.

 

Squeezing every last bit of debris we can into the dumpster.

Advertisements

5 Responses to “Demolition Part III”


  1. 1 Wawa August 24, 2011 at 7:39 am

    Woohoo for progress. I love the non-private bathroom. We hung the previous shower curtain across the demo’d wall in ours so we could take showers without flashing the neighbors.

  2. 2 kit @ DIYdiva August 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm

    The bathrooms are awesome! Demo is totally coming along. So much fun!

  3. 3 Carolyn@Sweet Chaos August 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

    Wow! I am so impressed that you are tackling such a big project. Can’t wait to watch the progress. Very exciting! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog 🙂

  4. 4 wescottmanor September 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

    I couldn’t find a space to contact you but I wanted to tell you that I saw that you backed me up on the chandy above the bathtub issue on Remodelaholic, ❤ Thank you! So glad to see that some people have common sense!!

    Going to check out your blog, looks fun!

    Nicole


  1. 1 Floorless « 3 acres & 3000 square feet Trackback on September 6, 2011 at 12:46 am

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




This is the story of two twenty something newlyweds who are learning to adjust to life in their first house, a 1973 fixer-upper.
DIY Savings

%d bloggers like this: