Published May 20, 2008
bathrooms , kitchen
Well, tonight was a typical night in the fact that we discovered more problems that the seller left us with. I confirmed that the oven doesn’t work properly with an oven thermometer. Because the oven was so dirty we weren’t able to use it right away so this is only our second time cooking with it. The first was when we were cooking some really freezer burnt stuffed chicken breasts so we weren’t sure if the reason they weren’t cooking right was the oven or the fact that they had been in our apartment freezer since who knows when. But tonight Flannel Man was coming home for our once a week dinner and the oven thermometer proved that my preheated oven wasn’t anywhere near where it needed to be. I had to keep cranking up the temperature to almost 200 degrees above what I needed! I can’t cook anything over 350 degrees. How could the seller forget to put this on her faults list? She had put down that the front left burner doesn’t work and even that the timer doesn’t work in high humidity but she failed to remember that her oven is 200 degrees off?!? It’s taking me a lot of patience to not call her up and tell her how I really feel.
I’ve also found out we have an ant problem in the master bathroom. I saw one ant the other day and hoped we had dragged it in on our shoes. But that is not the case. Tonight I killed about 10 ants in our tiny bathroom. They were everywhere the sink, the tub, the floor, and the ceiling. My guess is they have a nest under the curled up linoleum next to the tub. We’re going to have to add ant poison to our ever growing shopping list.
When will this ever end?
Published May 20, 2008
Today we took our first steps to getting rid of the moths. They are really starting to get to me. The kitchen is gross and creepy with them here. I’m normally not such a puss about bugs but the idea of them crawling out of my cereal or flour completely creeps me out. At first it wasn’t so bad but then I did some research about them and read stories like this, this, and don’t forget this. You know it’s getting bad when as you miss one with the swatter you curse and grab the handle so tightly you bend it like this:
We first took diluted bleach to the whole pantry area and the nearby kitchen walls. Then we got rid of all the empty cocoons along the ceiling and all of the dead moths we had recently squished. As Flannel Man was up getting the many cocoons above the refrigerator he noticed that the cabinet above the refrigerator didn’t go all the way back to the wall so there were a bunch of moth cocoons and dirty back there. Then he realized that the cabinet wasn’t even fastened to the wall so we decided to take it out.
Next, we caulked all of the upper corners and gaps in the pantry. And by “we” I mean Flannel Man because he’s much smaller and can fit in tiny places like that better. He also caulked up the gap in the wood paneling that separated the pantry from the built in bookshelf in the living room. The moths were using that as an escape route.
We also put up a pheromone trap that I got at the local hardware store. We didn’t have much luck finding these traps at the big box places but our local store has a nice variety of pest control products. We used the Safer Pantry Pest trap with good success if you’re trying to get rid of moths too. We got about one a day. (Edit: After a week we had about 10 moths and didn’t get many more so I threw out the old one and put up a new fresh one. I think the moths were weary with all their dead buddies in there. One day I saw one sitting on the edge where it wasn’t sticky. He was a smart moth…until I smashed him with the fly swatter.)